DELPHIC MTC in Angelicoussis Group was the first in-house training center established in Greece in 2004 by a major shipping company. At that time very few shipping companies in Europe had their own in-house training facilities.
DELPHIC MTC was a pioneer and its vision is to remain in the frontline of in-house training, serve the values of Angelicoussis Group and develop and deliver high quality training courses through continual improvement.
DELPHIC is certified by:
- DNVGL in accordance with the DNVGL Standard for Certification of Maritime Training Providers ST-0029 (2009), certificate renewed in December 2017, valid for 5 years.
- The Maltese Maritime Administration in accordance with their Guidelines for Approval of Maritime Training Centres SCU/040 (2009) and Approval of Maritime Training Courses SCU/003 (2009). Certificate was renewed in 2017 and refers to ECDIS Generic training IMO Model Course 1.27 (2012) and “Medical Care Refresher”.
- DNVGL in accordance with the DNVGL Standard for Certification of Learning Programs no 3.201 (2011) for 2 courses, “SIGTTO Competence Standard” renewed in January 2018 and “Liquid cargo simulator for LNGs”
DELPHIC Maritime Training Center continued successfully its operation over the last years with increased number of seminars and participants from MTM, MGM and MDM and office staff as well. In 2017 over 600 courses (both internal and external) were organized with over 6000 participations from Angelicoussis Group.
Various KPIs (eg number of seminars per year per officer, number of participants per course, evaluation by participants etc) are monitored to ensure high quality services and achieve a fair balance between identified training needs and leave periods of seafarers.
Courses are organized outside Athens as well, in order to facilitate officers living in these areas.
DELPHIC was equipped with a bridge simulator in 2007 and upgraded with cargo and engine simulator in 2009, ECDIS simulator in 2012 and LNG cargo simulator in 2013. In 2017 new state of the art KSIM KONGSBERG bridge and engine simulators were installed. DELPHIC is now equipped with 2 full mission bridge simulators and a number of workstations, bridge and engine simulators can be connected fro combined scenarios.
In 2017, 1420 officers attended the 268 simulator courses.
The in-house courses are divided in many categories:
- Generic Technical Courses (e.g. surveys and certification, various standards 9001, 14001, 50001, 45001, Fire Safety Systems, ECDIS Generic, Incident investigation, Risk Assessment, Environmental issues, PSC and vetting, Tankers Operation etc.)
- Specific Technical Courses (e.g. Bridge and Engine Simulators, STS Transfer, Boilers, Gas Detectors, Use of Chemicals, SIGTTO competence standards, ECDIS type specific, Lifeboats release gear, Ship Safety Officer, SMS familiarisation, Refresher Courses, Oil Record Book, Bunkers etc.)
- Managerial Courses (e.g. Bridge Team Management, ER Resource Management, leadership etc.)
- Interpersonal Skills Courses (e.g. Train the Trainer, Communication and Teamwork, Handling the Media, assessors training etc. )
- Other Courses (e.g. First aid, Meteo, Cyber security, Anti-piracy etc.)
Advantages of in-house Training
- It is a voluntary and non-profit activity for the group, this shows the management commitment and ensures the high-quality of the training. Long-term results are expected
- It is free to all officers, this encourages the active participation of seafarers and any proposals or feedback are taken into account in the development of the courses
- It is tailor-made to address specific training needs and Company's policy and practices
- It brings closer officers and company office staff, it helps team-building